Antonino Carbone, MD
Research Consultant - Department of Pathology
CRO Aviano and A.O. "S. Maria degli Angeli" Pordenone, Italy.
2014 – Professor of Pathology (Professore di prima fascia), Acknowledged by the Ministry of University (MIUR), Italy.
2015-2016 Research Consultant, Department of Pathology, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico (CRO) Aviano, National Cancer Institute, Italy
2010-2014 Chairman, Department of Pathology, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico (CRO) Aviano, National Cancer Institute, Italy.
2005-2009 Chairman, Department of Pathology, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milano, Italy.
1996-2004 Scientific Director, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico (CRO) Aviano, National Cancer Institute, Italy.
2005 - Chairman Italian TNM Staging Committee UICC
2009 - Member of WHO IARC Monograph Working Group on Biological Agents, Lyon
CONTRIBUTION TO THE FIELD OF RESEARCH
The fields of main interest are Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin lymphomas, in particular HIV-associated lymphomas. He contributed to the latter field of research studying and improving the morphologic classification of HIV-associated lymphomas and their viral association. The study of microenvironment impact on lymphomagenesis is the recent contribution to these fields of interest. Accordingly, he was recently appointed as guest Editor for a special issue of Seminars in cancer Biology (October 2015) entitled “Lymphomas and microenvironment: Impact on lymphomagenesis”.
He has been involved in active collaborations with international groups from Memorial Sloan Ketternig Cancer Center (Anas Younes), and from University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (Liron Pantanowitz), as well as with a number of national scientists/clinicians with interest in lymphomas (Stefano Pileri within the framework of the Italian Lymphomas Foundation; with the Italian Society of Medical Oncology for a consensus document on clinical guidelines for Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin lymphomas).
He has been recently involved in The European Hematology Association Roadmap for European Hematology Research. A Consensus Document. (Haematologica. 2016 Jan 27. pii: haematol.2015.136739).
TOP 5 PUBLICATIONS IN THE LAST 5 YEARS
- Dolcetti R, Gloghini A, Caruso A, Carbone A. A lymphomagenic role for HIV beyond immune suppression? Blood. 2016 Jan 14. pii: blood-2015-11-681411. [Epub ahead of print] I.F.10.452
- Pratesi C, Zanussi S, Tedeschi R, Bortolin MT, Talamini R, Rupolo M, Scaini C, Basaglia G, Di Maso M, Mazzucato M, Zanet E, Tirelli U, Michieli M, Carbone A, De Paoli P. gamma-Herpesvirus Load as Surrogate Marker of Early Death in HIV-1 Lymphoma Patients Submitted to High Dose Chemotherapy and Autologous Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Transplantation. PLoS ONE 2015;10 (2):e0116887. I.F.03.234
- Carbone A, Vaccher E, Gloghini A, Pantanowitz L, Abayomi A, De Paoli P, Franceschi S. Diagnosis and management of lymphomas and other cancers in HIV-infected patients. Nat Rev Clin Oncol 2014;11(4):223-238. I.F.14.180
- Gloghini A, Dolcetti R, Carbone A. Lymphomas occurring specifically in HIV-infected patients: from pathogenesis to pathology. Semin Cancer Biol. 2013;23(6):457-467. I.F.09.330
- Capello D, Gloghini A, Martini M, Spina M, Tirelli U, Bertoni F, Rinaldi A, Morra E, Rambaldi A, Sinigaglia F, Larocca LM, Carbone A. Mutations of CD79A, CD79B and EZH2 genes in immunodeficiency-related non-Hodgkin lymphomas. Br J Haematol. 2011 Mar;152(6):777-80. I.F.04.971
TOP 5 PUBLICATIONS IN THE PREVIOUS YEARS
- Carbone A, Cesarman E, Spina M, Gloghini A, Schulz TF. HIV-associated lymphomas and gamma-herpesviruses. Blood. 2009;113(6):1213-24. I.F.10.452
- Klein U, Gloghini A, Gaidano G, Chadburn A, Cesarman E, Dalla-Favera R, Carbone A: Gene expression profile analysis of AIDS-related primary effusion lymphoma (PEL) suggests a plasmablastic derivation and identifies PEL-specific transcripts. Blood 2003;101(10):4115-4121. I.F.10.452
- Carbone A. Emerging pathways in the development of AIDS-related lymphomas. Lancet Oncology 2003;4(1):22-29. I.F.24.690
- Carbone A, Gloghini A, Larocca LM, Capello D, Pierconti F, Canzonieri V, Tirelli U, Dalla-Favera R, Gaidano G: Expression profile of MUM1/IRF4, BCL-6, and CD138/syndecan-1 defines novel histogenetic subsets of human immunodeficiency virus-related lymphomas. Blood 2001;97(3):744-751 I.F.10.452
- Carbone A, Tirelli U, Gloghini A, Volpe R, Boiocchi M: Human immunodeficiency virus-associated systemic lymphomas may be subdivided into two main groups according to Epstein-Barr viral latent gene expression. J Clin Oncol 1993;11(9):1674-1681. I.F.18.443
OPINIONS: PUBLISHED ARTICLES AS INVITED EDITORIALS OR LETTERS
- Carbone A, Pantanowitz L. TAFRO syndrome: An atypical variant of KSHV-negative multicentric Castleman disease. Am J Hematol. 2016;91(2):171-172.
- Carbone A, Gloghini A. Activated DDR1 increases RS cell survival. Blood. 2013;122(26):4152-4154.
- De Paoli P, Carbone A. Pathogenesis of HIV-Associated Cancer. J Clin Oncol 2014;32(27):3078
- Carbone A, Gloghini A. The microenvironment of AIDS-related diffuse large B-cell lymphoma provides insight into the pathophysiology and indicates possible therapeutic strategies. Blood. 2013;122(3):459-460.
- Carbone A, Gloghini A. Plasmablastic lymphoma: one or more entities? Am J Hematol. 2008;83(10:763-764
SELECTED INVITED TALKS:
2015 - 2nd Digital Pathology Congress(London, UK);
2014 - 16th Annual International Meeting of the Institute of Human Virology (Baltimora, USA)
2010 - 8th International Symposium on Hodgkin lymphoma (Cologne, Germany)
2010 - Antigens and Lymphoma Meeting (Santorini, Greece)
2008- British Lymphoma Pathology Group Spring Meeting (Bristol, UK)
Reviewing for international journals: Blood, Lancet, Journal of Clinical Oncology, American Journal of Hematology, British Journal of Hematology.
HONOURS AND AWARDS. Papers were awarded with special recognitions (Featured Cover Article):
- Carbone A, Gloghini A, Castagna L, Santoro A, Carlo-Stella C. Primary Refractory and Early-Relapsed Hodgkin Lymphoma: Strategies for Therapeutic Targeting Based on the Tumor Microenvironment. J Pathol 2015,237(1):4-13. I.F.07.429
- Carbone A, Santoro A. How I treat: diagnosing and managing "in situ" lymphoma. Blood. 2011;117(15):3954-60 I.F.10.452
- Carbone A, Botti G, Gloghini A, Simone G, Truini M, Curcio MP, Gasparini P, Mangia A, Perin T, Salvi S, Testi A, Verderio P. Delineation of HER2 Gene Status in Breast Carcinoma by Silver in Situ Hybridization is Reproducible among Laboratories and Pathologists. J Mol Diagn 2008;10(6):527-536. I.F.04.851
- Carbone A. AIDS-related non-Hodgkin's lymphomas. From pathology and molecular pathogenesis to treatment. Hum Pathol 2002;33(4):392-404. I.F.02.769